Friday, December 2, 2011

My Funky Flower Yarn Christmas Tree

Happy Friday!  I am sharing with you today my project for the latest die cut challenge over at Stuck On U Sketches.  Our theme is "O Christmas Tree."  Sounds simple enough, right?  My only problem was that I had a vision in my head that didn't come to pass.  I love the yarn Christmas trees I have seen on Pinterest.  They are each unique.  And so is mine.  :o)  It is definitely funky.  And fun.

Here are the details:

I started with a white Styrofoam Christmas tree (this one is approximately 12 inches tall) purchased at Michaels.  I bought some thick white yarn and wrapped it around the entire tree, using my hot glue gun along the way.  I then added a string of little white pearls (which you can see in the closeup below).  I cut my flowers using two shades of blue and one shade of pink Core'dinations card stock.  I used the Flower Shoppe Cricut cartridge and cut the basic and scalloped flowers at 4" and 4 1/2".  I cut enough leaves from that same cartridge at 1" to put two leaves with each flower.  I rolled the flowers, gluing them as I went, and set them aside.  I put the flowers on the tree in a random pattern.  I then added little foam red berries that were left over from my daughter's wedding.  I added a three dimension star to the top of the tree using my Life's A Party Cricut cartridge cut at 1 3/4".  I added some glue and Diamond Dust to the star.

It really was a fairly simple project that I finished in less than two hours (not counting the many times that I ripped the flowers off and started over).  HA!

Hope you like it.  Maybe you too will want to do a funky Christmas tree!  Be inspired!


Click on the photos for a better look.


Closeup of Flower and Star




8 comments:

Unknown said...

This tree is truly beautiful... I have to get to Michael's!!! Thank you for such an inspirational project! Less than 2 hours is good!

http://scrapbookingforbeginners-naomi.blogspot.com/

Scossie Jane said...

A truly funky tree Tammy - love it.... Hugs x

Sandi Clarkson said...

Eegads! Love this tree! Oh, I am so motivated to go out and get some supplies to make one of these! You are really rocking these challenges with some very nnique idea!

paperscissorsink said...

That is so pretty, thanks for sharing the instructions!

**Treefrog** said...

Oh this is Gorgeous! So many possibilities and inspiration! If I get some time (yeah right, giggle!) I may have to make me one of these!
((Hugs)) Theresa

Debbie said...

Beautiful Tammy!!! Love the beautiful flowers!

annette said...

terrific tree ... I love it !!!! Tammy ... hugz X:)

Arborgate Interiors LLC said...

I LOVE this sassy little tree you made. It's really cute! Great job...once again!