Sunday, May 1, 2011

Brighten Up The World

This is my sister's birthday card.  Her birthday isn't until later in the week, but since she doesn't even know I have a blog, I doubt she will see the card before it arrives.  LOL. 

This card was inspired by Silke Ledlow's great card for Challenge No. 37 over at Case Study.  Her card was beautiful (see below)!  I knew I wanted to make a card patterned after it.  I asked my sister what her favorite colors on a card would be, and she said red and yellow.  I didn't really have any good red and yellow paper, so red and gold is what I came up with.  This is similar to a lot of the colors in her house, so I think she will like it.

This card is also being submitted for the current polka dots and stripes challenge over at Frosted Designs.  I love a challenge like this!  The stripes are hard to see, but they are in the embossing on the panel down the side.

And lastly, this card is being submitted for the current "make it pop" challenge (find it here) over at Do You Stack Up?.  Check it out!
Here are the details on the card:

Size:  5 1/4" x 5 1/4"
Cardstock:  Bazzill and Core'dinations
Patterned Paper:  K and Co.
Ribbon:  Satin from my stash -- not sure of the manufacturer
Large flower:  I made this flower using two different sizes of flower punches.  I spritzed the punched flowers with water, crunched them, and used a stylus on them on a foam pad to curl them and then layered them.  I added a pearl to the center.  If you'd like more details, just let me know.  I've seen lots of tutorials for handmade flowers that sort of used this techninque.
Small flower:  Punch (it's the smaller of the two punches I used for the larger flower.)
Label:  I used my Cricut Elegant Edges cartridge for the background label using the frame feature.  I ran the top (red) layer through my Cuttlebug to give it some texture.  This cartridge is becoming one of my favorites!  I then layered a lacy scalloped circle Nestabilities die on top of that.  I used a little Cuttlebug folder with a gift on it that I have had for several years (love my Cuttlebug) and then cut it out with a circle Nestabilities die.
Sentiment:  Computer generated and then punched and layered with two EKSuccess punches.
White pearls down the side of the card are Beads in a Bottle.
Inside sentiment:  So He Made You.  Happy Birthday Sweet Sister!

Thank yo so much for your comments.

Here is Silke's card:



And here is my card:



And here is a closeup of the flower:



17 comments:

Ann said...

Beautiful card! I absolutely love the colors!
Thank you for sharing with us at Frosted Designs!

Amanda said...

You have an absolutely fantastic job with both card...Love it!!!

The colors you have done are stunning

Thank you for joining us at Frosted Designs, I look forward to seeing more of your work

Amanda

WencheP said...

Fabulous card, love the bright colors. Thanks for joining us at Do You Stack Up.

-Wenche

Sandi Cl~ said...

Oh, I loved Silk's card and even saved it to my computer While it may have been your inspiration, yours is quite original .. bright and happy .. your sis's fave colors .. it will really make her day! Love it!

Beatriz Farquhar-Guzman said...

I love your cards, very elegant and beautiful.

Lynn said...

Really, really like the colors on this one and the big flower is awesome, too!

Anna C said...

Your card turned out beautifully! Love it!

Miranda said...

gorgeous card Tammy and a stunning flower, very pretty, like the colors too, very warm and cheery
thanks for joining the DYSU challenge this week
hugs
Miranda

Samantha J Designs (Wife2TJ) said...

Beautiful cards!!! Love the rose and the pearls! So elegant!!! :-)

Kristin said...

Both cards are perfect for our challenge this week and both are equally stunning. Thanks so much for joining us this week at Frosted Designs.

Hugs,
Kristin

Kelly said...

What a gorgeous card Tammy. I love the bright cheerful colors and the patterned paper that you used! Your sister is going to treasure this card for sure!

Annette Witherspoon ♥ said...

Wow! I love the colors!! They are so bright and happy. Your card really caught my eye.

Jean Martin said...

This is tooo cute!!!! Love the colors dear! Thanks for playing with us over at the CASE Study Challenge! :)

Alpha & Omega Design Team said...

ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS!!! I know your sister will feel so very special when she opens this "labor of love". I love the colors too! Great job!

Sue Kohler said...

Magnificent Tammy- love it all, from the bright gorgeous colours, the layout and of course the stunning flower!!
Thanks for sharing at CASE study this week! :)

BugBites said...

Wow- these are great. I like the 3d flower on the red card.TFS with us at Frosted Designs

Sandy from Ukiah said...

Oh Tammy, this is breath taking... you are so creative. I would love the directions on how to make the flowers.. Your sister is going to love this.. hugs